What are the environmental impacts of ocean energy?
Students will learn about the issues that could possibly have environmental impacts and what is being done to determine the risks to the environment.
After completing this lesson, students will be able to:
- Predict possible impacts of turbines on the physical and biological environment.
- Produce a simplified ranked matrix on the impacts of active turbine systems on sea turtles in the region.
- Predict possible stranding areas for sea turtles impacted by turbines.
- Compare and contrast the use of pilot vs. commercial turbines and their impacts on the environment.
- Discuss the large-scale environmental impacts resulting from human activity
- Identify possible impacts of ocean energy and categorize them on their need for further investigation.
- Understand the difference in impacts between non-renewable energy and renewable forms of energy such as ocean energy.
Total Estimated Time for this lesson: 3-4 class sessions